Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:23:22 +0200
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@radio-do.de>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Toasting /etc/rc.conf...

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 01:26:24PM +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> This is probably a very minor point in the grand scheme of things, but I
> managed to complete delete my /etc/rc.conf the other day by:

Staying current means, you have always the chance to nuke your system.

I have two strategies to take this into account.

1.) Backup everything you need to external media, which you can access
    with a boot&fiyxit floppy. This is a MO drive in my case. One should
    test a boot&fixit floppy before the mess happens.

2.) To make upgrading /etc/rc.conf simple, don't edit in rc.conf but in
    rc.conf.local instead.

Regards
	Frank