Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 18:39:17 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.org>
To:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature Findings

> The fan's are fine. The case is a custom server design *with* a panel
> mounted digital display for the TEMP readings from the Winbond
> W83782D/W83783S IC mounted on the motherboard. The readings are taken
> right from the systems MB routed through the systems bios. It is
> independant of the OS installed. I had a technician verify the voltage
> readings and case temperature before I posted with this problem. I
> verified it again myself after being accused of presenting false or
> inaccurate data.

I hope that you now realize that you could have saved us all a lot of confusion and wasted cycles by telling us this in the first place, and maybe mentioning that you could feel how much hotter it is when you put your hand near the exhaust fan.

I don't have any SMP systems, but I'm anxiously waiting to find out where that difference is coming from.  I just can't imagine what the software could possibly do that would make that much difference, unless it's somehow shorting two power supply voltages together inadvertently.