Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:26:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk damage

I just had my first panic in about 9 months, and I think I took some
real disk damage on one of my disks.  I was doing a buildworld, and the
disk that had obj on it took a big hit.  I found the normal fsck failing
because it told me that link counts were rising, so I did that manually
and told it not to make fixes for link counts that were too low.  fsck
completed then, and I successfully mounted, and the only damage I can
really see is in obj.

When I subsequently tried to rm -rf the obj dir, I got errors from rm
of:

rm: usr/src/usr.bin: Bad file descriptor
rm: usr/src/usr.sbin: Bad file descriptor
[extra error list, about 8, removed]

I tried to do an ls of those directories, and got:

ls: usr.bin: Bad file descriptor
ls: usr.sbin: Bad file descriptor

Should I continue to delete these guys, and if so, how?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |