Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 20:41:46 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status Report on 2.2.6 Giveaway CD's

At 11:02 AM 10/4/98 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> For Heaven's sake someone warn them not to run QPopper.
>>
>> Why?  Firstly, it wasn't a FreeBSD problem, and secondly it's been
>> fixed.
>
>That stands.

But it WOULDN'T be fixed on the 2.2.6 CD set! And if someone is just
getting into FreeBSD or UNIX, the last thing they're going to know
is how to find out about security problems or how to upgrade.

Again, I'd prepare a sticker for the disk, a program to patch
the known holes, and/or instructions for an immediate, painless
upgrade.

I'd never, NEVER give someone a system disk with well-known, easily
exploitable holes without such warnings and fixes. But that's just
me. Personally, I would feel responsible if the user got shafted,
and wouldn't want FreeBSD's reputation to suffer.

--Brett