Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:52:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Smyth <smyth@bashful.realminfo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Setting aside RAM for buffer?

I need to set aside memory for data.  Assuming these kind of
buffer is needed, I would like some feed back on the best way
to do this.  Thanks in advance.

	1) set aside memory the kernel does not know about and
		manage it yourself;

		a) Issues -- how the hell do I manage/access it?

	2) somehow dedicate memory that the kernel knows about
		with a daemon that never gets swapped?  Is that
		possible with FreeBSD, I assume it is.

		a) Issues -- how do I keep it from getting
		swapped?

--
Scott Smyth, Senior Developer R&D
(770) 446-1332