Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:04:07 -0600
From:      Steve Bishop <steveb@iserver.com>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi probe at boot time

"Chris D. Faulhaber" wrote:

> In my previous life, I had to service many Spectra Logic changers...they
> can be very picky with the system probing them while they are still
> initializing.
>
> Is the changer initializing (arm moving, etc) when FreeBSD is booting?  If
> so, you may want to try using a <much> longer SCSI_DELAY in your kernel's
> config and see what happens.  Also, it should be ok if the scsi controller
> resets the changer, scans the bus and does not see it since the OS will
> scan the bus for itself (and not depend on the card's bios).
>
> -----
> Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
> System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
> Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.

The SCSI Controller (host adapter) resets the bus, and then scans it, and sees
everything.  It is the OS that locks up the changer with a bus reset, and then
just sees the drives.  The bus reset seems to lock the changer up immediately, so
that as soon as the SCSI_DELAY period begins, it's already locked up.

This, of course, points to this being a Spectralogic problem since the bus
reset causes the changer to lock up regardless of whether it's the OS, or
the SCSI controller.

I don't remember seeing this problem with Solaris, but maybe it doesn't do
a bus reset during boot.

-Steve Bishop
Verio Web Hosting