Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:09:05 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: httpd will not start

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Craig Burgess wrote:
> A couple thoughts:
>
> 2.) Check out /var/log/httpd-error.log for clues...
The error log is full of this line -
[Mon Jan 31 17:37:11 2000] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname("chip.homenet")
This machine I am running this on is called chip and my homenetwork is called
homenet, thus chip.homenet
My guess is I will need to change this?

> 1.) You are trying to start as root, aren't you?

Yes I am starting it as root.

One item I did change is the following -
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/data.default" - was originally
/usr/local/ww/data
but my directory has a file (link) to data.default which links to
/usr/local/share/doc/apache
When I move into the directory /usr/local/www/data.default
I get the html page that says It Worked! Apache Web
Server is installed on this web site!