Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:39:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Bruce Pea <bruce_pea@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Ware 6400 Error

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Bruce Pea wrote:

>trying to setup a 3Ware 6400 controller using FBSD v4.1.
>
> The array (4 30G drives setup as raid10) gets created without any problem
> and the FBSD install cd boots up fine. I go through the

I recommend you build your array. Start install up to the point where you
lable the drives, but don't get out. have the machine open and look at the
lights. Let the controller initialize the array. This can take long hours
on a big array. I just left it run overnight.

I also recommend that once all is done (i.e. the lights stopped
blinking) that you start out on the controller lightly. Do some small
operations. Keep an eye on the lights if they go off for a while even
though you are doing little, then there is a chance that the array had not
finished initializing.

I had a couple of problems and it took me almost 3 days to get a 6400
initilized (mostly leaving it run overnight the init). Once it seemed like
init was done I bombarded the raids (one Raid 1 and one Raid 0) with
10 concurrent large bonnies, a cvsup of stable and another one of
ports. It handled the load with no problems.

I plan to continue stress testing the machine for a few days before going
on limited production with it.

The initialization issue is a known bug and work is been done to fix it.