Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:31:07 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

> In /etc/netstart (and elsewhere) we have constructs of the form:
>
> if [ "x$gateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>         echo 'configuring host as a gateway.'
>         sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
> fi
>
> if [ "x$router" != "xNO" ] ; then
>         echo -n starting routing daemon:
>         echo -n " ${router}";   ${router} ${routerflags}
>         echo '.'
> fi
>
> if [ "x$ipxgateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>
> And so on.  This is, needless to say, DEEPLY DEEPLY EVIL since it will
[.....]

While you're in there, I think things should be made consistent.  The
likes of "rwhod=" and "lpd=" should be "rwhodflags=" and "lpdflags="
etc (and it should be either "flags" or "_flags", not both).  I like
to run "lpd -l" and some people may not want 4 nfsiod servers running.
A flags arg of NO turns things off.

Defaults of whatever rc* uses at the moment should be mentioned as
"good ideas" in the comments.

I like the idea of a "summary" at the top of /etc/rc (oh, and
netstart should be rc.net as someone mentioned a while ago):

swapfile=NO dumpdev=NO syslogdflags=NO namedflags=NO ntpdate=NO
xntpdflags=NO timedflags=NO sendmail_flags='-bd -q30m' etc.

It wouldn't be too sloppy, and would give some raw defaults in case
sysconfig is out of date or not there or something (as someone
already pointed out).
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;