Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:41:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

:As Jordan pointed out, this gets very messy very quickly.
:
:>     I don't think we should have an /etc/defaults/ directory, but if
:>     it is insisted on then *ALL* the read-only files should be moved into
:>     it, not just one of them.
:
:All of the files that currently mix read-only and read-write data
:will, ideally, be split so that the read-only content goes into
:/etc/defaults, and the "local changes" stay in /etc.  The next big
:candidate for this is make.conf, but that will require careful testing
:first.

    I think it's a *BAD* idea to change rc.conf operation for the 3.1
    distribution.  Bad Bad Bad.

    If you guys want to fix the read-only / read-write mess, fix it
    for 3.2 and 4.x and don't just go piecemeal -- fix 90% of it right
    off the bat.  Move rc, rc.network, rc.firewall, rc.diskless{1,2},
    rc.atm, rc.devfs, rc.isdn, rc.pccard, rc.serial, and rc.shutdown
    into your defaults directory.

    defaults is a bad name.  Why not make it /etc/dist/ ?? for
    'distribution files'.  Much more obviously a 'do not mess with me'
    directory then /etc/defaults is.

    Either way, I really think we have enough problems to deal with
    that changing rc.conf operation in 3.2 would just be asking for it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>