Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 16:28:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        erich@lodgenet.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, moro@race.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: gimp port.

 * 2) import it alongside as gimp-devel, or something else.
 *
 *
 * From my little experience with it, it's significantly buggier than
 * the 0.54, but its got a lot of new features that are pretty cool.

The standard procedure for buggy new releases is to import it under a
name that indicates it's a beta (cf. nn-current) and merge it into the
"mainstream" port once it proves to be reliable enough.

On the other hand, for incompatible new releases, we import it under a
different name (cf. tk41) and slowly phase out the older one as people
move on to the new release.  Of course, this only applies to things
like toolkits and libraries that are used by other ports -- for
applications that stand on its own, compatibility is less of a concern
as people can always use ports trees from older releases.

If you are doing the latter, please drop me a note first, I will do a
repository copy so that the we can preserve history.

 * Plus it doesn't require motif.

That is great news!  Put it in the tree NOW! :)

Satoshi