Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 13:45:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > One day we will discover that we can't use FreeBSD as freely and / or
> > with the same quality.

> I wish you doom-sayers would actually come up with some conclusive
> rationale for your fears here.  Nobody has yet to come up with a
> single reason as to how or why all these disaster scenarios would come
> to pass and there has been considerable evidence to the contrary
> already presented here.

> All I see here are a lot of fears and unfounded statements about who
> BSDI are or what they're going to be in a year's time.  If you think
> you know all the answers to those questions, please introduce me to
> your fortune teller!  Otherwise, I'd say you're doing a lot more harm
> than good with this kind of speculation and have to seriously question
> your motives at this point.

I'm not a doom-sayer, but try to understand this from our point of view.

Corporations care only for their interests. Their stockholders will be
pissed if they act otherwise. Do you really think there's something wrong
with people who are scrutinizing this move? We all love FreeBSD and don't
want anything bad to happen to it.

Your view of this will obviously be different from ours since you actually
discussed this merger with BSDI --- Wait, JUST HOW LONG has this been
going on anyway? You've probably been discussing this for at least more
than 24 hours. Did it ever cross your mind to ask WE, the faithful FreeBSD
users for some input? Were you anticipating this unfound resentment to the
merger and felt that a better course of action would be to approve the
move, and just let everyone whine after the fact, as opposed to let
everyone whine during the fact, and cause more outrage if you went ahead
and did it despite protests?

Perhaps some people are feeling left out, maybe even betrayed. I would
have a hard time believing that you can't understand that, having dealt
with the user base for as many years as you have.

The fact that nobody (except maybe your trusted circle of supporters) was
made aware of this beforehand only adds to our suspicion now, even if your
actions were totally innocent. In fact, personally I think you're just
stupid, as opposed to malicious. :)

You will have to do a lot to convince the naysayers otherwise, though.

-MB