Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:45:05 +0200
From:      Michael O Shea <micheal@com4u.ch>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anonymous rsync or RSA Auth with empty passwd?

>  >
>>  Why anonymous ? Use Rsyncs security settings.Define your Modules and
>>  who can sync them.
>>    You can run RSYNC over SSH if you wish.
>

>Because  I want to run this via cron every night I was looking for a
>solution that didn't need a password to be entered. I can use the host
>allows and deny in the rsyncd.conf and also turn off listing of the
>modules and give the modules funky names for an extra "layer" of security.
>Albeit a weak/corny one. Sound like a viable solution?

Do not run rsync direct from cron. Instead get cron to run a script
say myrsync.csh , which could be

#! /bin/csh
cd /usr/bin
setenv RSYNC_PASSWORD blabla
rsync -avW --stats  --delete and so on.......
--

Micheal O Shea                         Email:micheal@com4u.ch
com4u.ch                                        http://www.com4u.ch