Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:45:07 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Mike Harding <mvharding@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.2-RC3 - suspend/resume causes slow system performance

On 29/08/2013 15:32, Mike Harding wrote:
> I opened a ticket about this: kern/181632
>
> Basically, if I do a 'zzz' and then wake the system up, operations like a
> buildworld or portmaster take much longer after the resume - systat shows
> very low CPU/disk utilization.  It's 100% repeatable, I don't recall this
> happening on 9.1
>
> I build 9.2-RC3 from source (as I have for years) - this is a fairly
> generic SMP system (i5 750 with 4 cpus).
>
> Let me know if I can provide any data - this is a fairly significant
> regression for me as I have taken to bringing the system up as needed vs.
> leaving it on all of the time.

I encountered that yesterday.

Manually stepping down:
sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=800

And back up again:
sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=2400

fixed this for me. You can simply run powerd to mask the problem. It
might have been around for ages as far as I know, because I usually
use powerd. I just had it turned of for performance measurements and
forgot to turn it back on before going into suspend. When I resumed
and reran the tests the performance suddenly was abysmal.