Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:58:52 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd stops logging - caught in the act

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 03:25:20PM -0500, Thomas Stromberg wrote:
> Me and my roommate saw a similar thing occuring when developing a Windows
> NT EventLog -> syslogd forwarder (http://www.schizo.com/software/sislog/)
> on an older 4.0-CURRENT machine and a 2.2.8-RELEASE machine..
>
> We concluded that it appears to be if the host sending the syslog messages
> is unresolvable (in our case, the DNS server could not be contacted), it
> would stop logging for us. I'm not sure about any other situations.
>
> This drove me nuts for quite a while, but since we have no home
> connectivity I forgot about submitting a GNATS report later. Perhaps a
> good thing to check...

Yes, this seems to be exactly what is happening, but it does affect
machines which only log for and to themselves. The DNS angle explains
why at least five machines in the one building are showing the problems
all the time when few others have seen this and only temporarily when
it occurs to others.

The primary name server for the affected machines is frequently
rebooted to freshen it up a bit (sic). As I'm leaving tomorrow, I have
left instructions that anyone who claims to have a valid reason for
rebooting the nameserver is obliged to kill and restart syslogd on up
to ten other machines immediately afterwards :-)

Still, it would be real nice to have a suitproof syslogd one day.
It looks like that won't be so far off, now that we know the cause.

Thanks to all who helped and encouraged.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-