Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2021 23:25:13 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libva-intel-driver on newer than 9th gen

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> writes:

> Should the hybrid option be selected on 10th gen or newer processors? I'm
> guessing that it should and that the config description is outdated, but I
> am not sure.

Try it. ;) I only have Skylake machine, so...

- Gen7 includes Ivybridge, Haswell but only Haswell can use hybrid VP9 decoder
- Gen8 includes Braswell, Broadwell but only Broadwell can use hybrid VP9 decoder
- Gen9 includes Skylake, Kabylake, Coffeelake but only Skylake can use
  hybrid VP9 decode as Kabylake, Cofeelake have proper VP9 decoder
- Gen10 aka Cannonlake doesn't exist, GPU was disabled due to 10nm issues
- Gen11 aka Icelake is only supported by libva-intel-media-driver
- Gen12 aka Tigerlake iGPU (TGL) and dGPU (DG1) are not supported by drm-kmod yet
  See also https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/3492d170513a

Regarding libva-intel-media-driver (ignore if using libva-intel-driver):
- VP9 *hybrid* decoder for Skylake isn't implemented
  https://github.com/intel/media-driver/issues/1024
- VP9 encoder for Kabylake, Coffeelake isn't merged
  https://github.com/intel/media-driver/issues/771
- Hybrid coding on FreeBSD requires running as root due to
  https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/197
  and only used by intel-media-sdk in certain cases e.g.,
  "ffmpeg ... -c:v h264_qsv -look_ahead 1 ..."