Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:22:04 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FEC and VLAN trunking

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:14:26AM +0100, Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I tried the FEC patch from http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/FEC/ on a
> 4-STABLE machine with two fxp cards connecting to a HP 4000M switch.
> The switch supports .1q tagging and FEC.
>=20
> I did the following:
>=20
> ifconfig fec0 up (the fec0 interface stands from fxp0 and fxp1)
> ifconfig vlan0 192.168.5.2 vlan 5 vlandev fec0 up
>=20
> Now I can't ping the machine 192.168.5.1 which is in the same VLAN (VLAN
> ID 5). If I do this without VLANs everything works correctly, so I can use
> fec0 as intended.
>=20
> tcpdump on fec0 (tcpdump -i fec0) shows that the machine gets the VLANs
> and tcpdump can identify each one with their ID. So on fec0 I get the
> correct traffic of several VLANs but I can not do anything besides that.
>=20
> If I ping 192.168.5.2 (the machine with FEC) from 192.168.5.1 I can see
> the ICMP echo requests coming in on the correct VLAN on fec0, but the
> machine does not respond to them.
>=20
> Is it possible to do VLAN trunking on a FEC interface?

I was expecting to find that it didn't work, but I downloaded the code
and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work at this point.  I'm not
100% sure I read the code right but it looks like it should work (at
least if your interface doesn't support hardware vlan decapsulation,
which is the case with fxp).  What happens if you put a bpf tap on
vlan0?  I'll put this on my todo list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to
it.  I will need this working at some point, but initialy I'll be able
to work around it so I don't know when I'll get to it.

-- Brooks

--=20

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk--