Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:43:08 -0500
From:      Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with incorrect locale settings

--=-3UEh9B1Dza4U4rxgmFTf

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 01:12 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:38 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > It would appear that my locale settings are defaulting back to C, at
> > least for gnome apps. I log in using GDM and set my locale to en _US bu=
> > my gnome/gtk apps (specifically mailers like sylpheed and evolution)
> > default to C when sorting my mail folders (case sensitive) or presentin=
> > date formats for the current locale.
> >=20
> > Here's my locale output
> >=20
> > trey@salamander~> locale
> > LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8
> > LC_CTYPE=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_COLLATE=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_TIME=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_NUMERIC=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_MONETARY=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_MESSAGES=3D"en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_ALL=3D
> >=20
> > It appears that the entries presented with quotes (COLLATE) is telling
> > me there's a problem.
>=20
> What problem?
>=20
> >=20
> > How can I fix this? It's driving me crazy.
>=20
> I usually just set LANG to en_US.ISO8859-1 or en_US.UTF-8 (I never
> bother with the other LC_* variables).  However, GNOME's default
> language is en_US, so you really don't notice much of a difference
> except when dealing with extended 8-bit Latin characters.
>=20
> Joe
>=20
My question is with my locale settings set as above,
why are my gnome apps still using the C locale when sorting mail
folders (case sensitive) and displaying dates for the current locale?
How can I change the locale settings to a reasonable US_en setting if
the above is not working?

--=20
Cheers,
Trey
---

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,
it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something
even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams=20

5:41PM up 20:51, 0 users, load averages: 1.22, 0.47, 0.22=20
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-STABLE i386

--=-3UEh9B1Dza4U4rxgmFTf

--=-3UEh9B1Dza4U4rxgmFTf--