Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:43:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

:
:I disagree.  They may not be optimal, but they are acceptable.

    It is far easier to present a rich set of partitions and allow the user,
    in a few flicks of the keys, to delete the ones he doesn't want then
    to present a minimalist set of partitions and require the user to
    then screw around with them if he wants more (he'd also have to delete &
    recreate the overlarge /usr and then create the additional ones).

    Frankly I don't see how the minimalist set could possibly be better.
    It requires far more work and understanding of the system.  You may
    like the minimalist defaults, but I sure as hell don't, and many other
    people don't either.  My way encompasses a much larger crowd (including
    encompassing your requirements if you don't mind two flicks of the
    keyboard to 'restore' it back to what you had before).

:>      It creates relatively unsafe partitions - for example,
:>     leaving /var/tmp on /var where /var itself is ALREADY too small for
:>     a number of ports, including our printing mechanism and vmware.
:
:Completely disagreed.  /var/tmp doesn't need to be any bigger *IF* you
:don't symlink /tmp into /var/tmp.  (Which I still think is a *REALLY*
:*REALLY* *BAD* idea, but unfortunately I'm certain this will become the
:point to argue about, because I think this is the basis for most of your
:othe changes. :()

    This is nonsense.  Many programs operate directly on /var/tmp.  In fact,
    considering how small /tmp often is (being on / if you screw around with
    it), many programs, and users, wound up not having a choice.  Not to
    mention the fact that having /tmp on / by default is unncessarily
    dangerous in regards to a crash.

					-Matt