Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:35:53 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Chris Moline <ugly-daemon@home.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel documentation

At 9:03 AM -0600 6/11/01, Chris Moline wrote:

>  How long did it take you to learn the internals??

	I haven't.  I've never really had a FreeBSD box of my own that I
could afford to muck around with, and had the time to muck around
with trying to learn the internals.

	I'm getting towards the point where I hope to be able to soon set
up an upgraded PowerMac 7200/90 where I could run NetBSD/PowerPC in
either single or dual CPU configurations (swapping out the logic
board for a 7300/7500/7600 model, then putting in XLR8 PowerPC G4 MPe
cards) as my primary firewall/web proxy server, caching-only
nameserver, etc... here in the basement of the house.  With luck,
we'll also be able to replace my wife's laptop with a much newer
model, and then I might be able to take her old Compaq Armada 4100T
and perform some upgrades on it, and then install FreeBSD and use it
as an additional server in the house.

	Once I can do those sorts of things, then I might have a chance
to get down-n-dirty into the internals of one kernel or the other.

>                                                    How experienced
>in technical
>  stuff were you when you started??

	N/A.  See above.

>                                     The reason I ask is that lately
>I have just
>  become so frustrated with my "lack of progress". When I take into account
>  that I got my first computer just over a year ago and that in that
>time I have
>  learned freebsd, c, ruby, and a whole shitload of other stuff I feel a little
>  bit better but grrr it seems like all I am doing is spinning my
>wheels and not
>  going anywhere. *sigh*. I will learn it all eventually, maybe in seven or ten
>  years.

	Learning kernel internals is hard work.  It took me five years at
college to get to the point where I could do anything remotely
resembling systems programming, and getting into kernel internals
would be something that would have taken me even longer.

	That said, each person has their own learning pace, and you might
be able to progress down this road a lot faster than I did.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */