Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 01:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, offe@dawnrazor.campus.luth.se, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vgalib for FreeBSD!

> > The biggest problem with the svgalib is its lack of support for svga
> > cards. For instance, the last time that I checked there was no
> > support for S3 cards . I guess a good starting point will be to
> > port whatever is available then include  a lot of the XFree86 init
> > and graphic routines. The effort is almost not worth it -- at least
> > from my point and view .  I suggest doing a net search for a better package.
>
> I didn't take a look at it yet but I don't regard it such useless
> if it supports at least the standard vga modes and eventually
> a 256 color mode. It would be ideal to be incorporated into Jordans
> new sysinstall stuff to allow for ('better') graphical setup
> look and feel (a la Win95, ducking and holding hands against ears :-)

Ahem, I have looked at it long ago (allready told Olof), and it could
be made to work, again I have the same reservations as Amancio, its
not worth it... but what the heck..
I also have to say that syscons does support switching to any graohics
mode that a STD. VGA card can handle (640x480x16, 320x200x256 etc)
so we have the support, I even have s library for doing this and
simple graphics routines (including simple sprite animations) based
on my old libdgl (maybe I should call it something with graphics
in it).
I'd be much inclined to have people use this instead, as IF i find
a way to support more modes GENERICALLY in syscons, they will
automatically be supported.

If there is enough interest I'll bring the lib up to shape and
put it in the tree somewhere so we have generic graph support.

PS:	Most games are written in 320x200x256 anyways, so we could
	use a couble of native ports :) :) :)

Soren Schmidt  (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@login.dknet.dk)  FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time