Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:54:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Speed of 2.2.1... & "daily panics"

I've noticed a strange thing seems to have happened in recent 2.2.,
uname:
FreeBSD ponds.water.net 2.2-970510-RELENG FreeBSD 2.2-970510-RELENG #0: Fri May
16 15:06:15 EDT 1997     rivers@lakes.water.net:/usr/src/sys-970510/compile/POND
S  i386

My news machine is now taking more than 3 days to expire the news.
This is a 386dx-33 with ~1.5gig of IDE space...

Version 2.1.7 would expire everything in a matter of hours,
version 2.2-970510 on the same hardware takes days...

The uucp traffic hasn't increased (I run uutraf every day, the
number of bytes transferred remains fixed...)

In top - I see that expire seems to be spending the majority of
its time in biowait.

As a happen-stance though; this is the machine that suffers
from the 'daily panics'.   It hasn't demonstrated that condition
since the expires began taking so long... could the two be related?

	- Opinions? -
	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. I'm open to suggestions as to how to speed this up.  I'm already
     using the async mount option... didn't seem to make much
     difference...