Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 11:25:01 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net> types:
> Of course, but for each miss, I end up with a message in my inbox
> notifying me of a 404 encountered on my site.  It doesn't happen
> often, once in a while someone requests favicon.ico, which is probably
> someone trying an innocuous test to see if I am running a server and
> which one.

favicon.ico is IE - and any browser that has picked this up as well -
asking for an icon to use for pages on your site/in that
directory. You can provide one yourself if you want; I use a beastie
for mine.

> Anyway, that's the rub.  Seems this code red isn't just a worm, it's a
> network virus, because of the traffic it's generating.  If a piddly
> server like mine gets a hundred hits in the course of 6 hours, what's
> it doing to the big sites right now?  And what is the effect on
> general network connectivity?  Seems the whole net must be bogged
> down.  I know my response times, even to freebsd.org, are down
> noticably.

Since it picks IP addresses at random, any given IP address should see
the same number of hits. Depending on the nature of the RNG used,
some sites may be immune. Sites running on server farms with lots of
IP addresses will see the same number of hits per IP as those of us on
single sites, but the total will be proportionately greater.

What scares me is the possibilitity of near-exponential growth of the
thing. I've put up a plot of hits/hour since it started - at about 9am
CDT - to now at <URL: http://www.mired.org/codered.ps >. Discount the
last data point - it only includes about 15 minutes of hits. The large
jump around 9am 8/4 got me, but it seems to have peaked at 45/hour,
and fallen back to ~15/hour. I can understand the levelling out as the
population of suspect servers approaches saturation, but why is did it
drop off? Or is the spike just random noise?

> Even connectivity to mail systems seems much slower.  Is this stupid
> worm hitting mail servers too?

Nope.

	<mike