Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:29:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> What is the reason for the sudden flood of spam on several FreeBSD mailing
> lists?  Do these lists no longer require that senders be subscribed to the
> list?  Or are legitimate senders' computers infected with a virus that is
> sending the spam in their names?

Last weekend, hub.FreeBSD.org, the main FreeBSD mailing list server, blew
itself to pieces (literally there were holes in some of the chips).  It was
running FreeBSD 4.x at the time.  The admin team had been preparing to replace
it anyway, with a shiny new 6.x system, and had to bring the replacement into
service on much shorter notice than expected.  As a result there were several
nits, one of which was that spamd doesn't/didn't appear to be working
properly.  I know the admins are looking at it, so if it hasn't already been
fixed, it will be shortly.

Robert N M Watson