Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 00:48:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        michael@blueneptune.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there still problems with Adaptec UW controllers (fwd)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:

> michael@blueneptune.com writes:
> >
> > Here are some more details about our particular case of having problems
> > with FreeBSD and (apparently) the Adaptec UW controller:
> >
> > Hardware configuration:
> >
> > 	CPU:  AMD K6 CPU
> [snip]
>
> Have you been following the thread on AMD K6 problems? With the problems
> *everyone* else is having with the K6 and "make world" it would be hard
> not to attribute your problems to the K6 unless you can reproduce the
> same problems with another model CPU.
>
> --

Hmmm... The K6 has been reported by some to have problems with make
worlds, but I don't ever recall anyone ever saying that it had problems
with the Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card.

As for why the K6 does not work well doing make worlds, I don't know.  It
may be an early revision, i.e. 9711xxx, a motherboard compatibility issue,
amount of memory (>32MB), chipset, etc.  Then again, everyone I have seen
here mentioning problems were using Asus MBs with the HX chipset.  I guess
it is a favorite among most FreeBSDers... In short, there are no hard
conclusions.  There was originally a rumor that the first batch was
recalled (9711xxx may be an early batch but some may have slipped
through).  It's on that Unoffical AMD Web Site (I posted the URL a while
ago.)

I think it would be wise to ask him about his bootup Adaptec SCSI
configuration to see if there is something there that might cause this
problem.  Unless you have personal experience that shows that the cpu will
not work with this card, I don't think we should jump in and say the
culprit is the cpu.

Anyway, I use a K6-200 with 64MB EDO Memory with an Adaptec 2940UW and 2
Quantum Fireball SCSI-2 drives and never had any problems with FreeBSD
2.1.7.1R.  So it isn't a cpu compatbility issue with the 2940UW here.

I have never ran make worlds so I don't know if my cpu works doing that.
However, just because there are reported problems with make world doesn't
mean the cpu doesn't work at all with FreeBSD because that simply isn't
true.  In short, the AMD K6-200 runs FreeBSD fine *for almost everything*.
The sticky point is whether it can/can not do make worlds successfully.
If you never need to do make worlds, then you don't have any problems.