Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:26:24 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A slight improvement of the rc system

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:44:10PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:43:34PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > +script_name_sep=" "	# Change if your startup scripts' names contain spaces
>
> Uh... ever heard of "over engineering"?  I think we can assume scripts
> don't have spaces in their names.  Anyone trying and has the ability to
> change this knob knows enought to just not use spaces in a script's name.
> This is UNIX.

Yep, this is Unix, and Unix has no arbitrary restrictions on filenames.
It does not have a 8.3 restriction, or a caps-only restriction; so why
should a *part* of the system place a no-spaces restriction on filenames?
Just about all the filesystems supported by FreeBSD allow filenames to
contain spaces; it's only logical to give the user the ability to use
them, if she so desires.

It's not overcomplicating the code, either - the IFS shell variable
is standardized and used, which means that the shell was written with
this in mind; not allowing it is just that - not using the shell's
capabilities the way they were meant to be used.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.