Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 17:44:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson), current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big ATA problems

> In case there is is already an IDE controller allocated at 0x170 and a
> Teles 16.3 tries to allocate a range of 0x40 at 0x160 it cannot do so.

This is a PnP card, right? So what does the PnP info say about needed
memory ranges?

> So where is the bug ?

Depends. If the drivers allocation is coherent with the vendors description
in the PnP configuration data, it's a newbus error (it shouldn't try to
allocate the card there in the first place). If the PnP info differs from
the drivers view of the card, it's either the vendors fault for providing wrong
infos (this wouldn't be the only card suffering) [fix: provide a quirk entry],
or the drivers fault: it should obey what the vendor tells PnP about the
card. Which case applies? Simple: if it's possible to change the driver to
obey the cards infos, that should be done. If the driver couldn't be made
to work support for that card should be removed :-)

If I'm wrong and this isn't a PnP card: it's pilot error. The card can't
work at the specified address, so everything works as expected. Paraphrased
in a sentence often heard as a reply from technical support persons for a
big commercial OS vendor: "Status: This behaviour is by design."

Martin