Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:36:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangulik@jrc.it>
To:        Stephen Cooper <stephen.cooper@alphawest.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
Subject:   Re: laptop that run FreeBSD 2.2.5

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Stephen Cooper wrote:

> Actually Xfree86 under FreeBSD runs well on laptops. My configuration would
> be completely irrelevant to you as the configuration is based on
>
> a) chipset
> b) screen size
> c) refresh rates
> and several other things. Get the specs from IBM for these things and you
> will know what you need.
>
> The best advice I can offer you is to search for an XF86config file from the
> various Linux (not much in FreeBSD land on this front) sites that are out
> there, thats where I got my original version from when I was completely lost
> on what to do.

Or fork out 200$ on the Xig (www.xig.com) server; their X11 install,
combined with a recent FreeBSD is absolutely painless. I usually waste
an evening or two on getting X right, aligned, right timings. So their
demo caught me by surprize.

Also a good source is the pao page (www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO) which has
quite a few PCMCIA configs and example configs of machines.

By the way, we have a 535 here and it works just fine. Though I still
prefer the mechanics of say, the 701 :-0

Dw