Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:16:41 -0400
From:      Tomas Quintero <tomasq@gmail.com>
To:        Broming plutonium <zhangzhaoxi2003@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to the Internet

On 4/25/05, Broming plutonium <zhangzhaoxi2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello everyone...for the first time.
>=20
> I have two computers. I very recently installed FreeBSD on my first compu=
ter because the operating system it used to have, Microsoft Windows, was in=
fected by so many viruses that my computer took a million years to open a p=
rogram.
>=20
> I've only had 2 days of experience with FreeBSD, so I don't know anything=
 about it. How do I connect it to the Internet using Ethernet? My computer =
seemed to be telling me it had three network interfaces. I'm guessing that =
the ones called plip0 and ppp0 are all wrong; sl0 is the right one.
>=20
> FreeBSD tries to establish an Internet connection on plip0 every time it =
boots. How do I change that to sl0?  How do I tell it to "tell DHCP server =
to assign IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on subnet mask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx USING t=
he sl0 network interface?
>=20
> What do I have to do to establish an Internet connection? Any help would =
be >appreciated. Thanks!

Firstly, by telling the DHCP server to assign a static-IP address to a
specific system on the network, what sort of DHCP server are you
speaking of. Are you asking about your ISPs DHCP, a
Linksys/Dlink/other SOHO DHCP device, or are you attempting to setup
your own internal DHCP server such as ISC-DHCP for your LAN.

Secondly, the quick and easy way to change around things so that sl0
pulls an IP is to run /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure your Network
Interfaces. You could also edit rc.conf manually and set up the sl0
interface that way, to either pull a static or dynamic IP.

Is sl0 internal or external? Is the FreeBSD box going to NAT for your
second computer?

--=20
-Tomas Quintero