Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:54:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP?

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Not all cards support bridging. The bridge(4) manpage _used to_ have a
> list of cards that work. Now all it says is,
>
>     "Interfaces that cannot be put into promiscuous mode or that don't support
>      sending packets with arbitrary Ethernet source addresses are not compati-
>      ble with bridging."
>
> And I have not been able to figure out if the rl(4) device satisfies
> those conditions. I should note that rl(4) was not on the list of
> working cards prior to the change in the manpage.
>
> Maybe someone who knows more about the rl(4) driver can elaborate?

I may be wrong here, but my understanding was that Archie's work a few
months ago to abstract the BPF and BRIDGE behavior into ether_input()
rather than in device-specific code was intended to make both BPF and
BRIDGE work for all interfaces without special work.  It appears that
those changes are present in the RELENG_4 branch.  This prompted the
removal of the per-interface "works and doesn't work" comment in the man
page.  The replacement comment, I think, specifically refers to the
wavelan cards from Lucent, as those apparently don't like sending out
packets with a MAC address other than the one shipped with the card (or at
least, in the form expected by BRIDGE.  I would guess that most ISA and
PCI ethernet cards on the market due permit the sending of packets with
other MAC addresses than shipped with.  Therefore, I would assume (and
possibly incorrectly) that BRIDGE would work in the rl cards.  This, mind
you, is without practical experience with the rl cards.  Recently a number
of changes (labeled as fixes) were committed to the BRIDGE code.  It may
be that you want to slide back to before the changes if you're using the
code after them, or vice versa.  :-)