Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 16:26:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routing nightmares.

> > I'm not an INET expert, but ``common wisdom'' says you will have to
> > use the same subnet mask throughout the whole net.
> >
> This is definitly the experience I have had......
> it is UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY BROKEN!!!!!

Yes, I quite agree.

> it may be that some of the NEWER revisions of the routing control protocols
> may fix this (MAYBE).. but I wouldn't count on it..
> anyway teh problem is outside your little enclave and
> in the wider world..

... something over which I have very little control.  :-(  ...

> (bad news I'm afraid....
> (though you could see if you can broadcast proxy-arp
> messages for all your internal nodes and 'attract'
> all packets for them to your gateway :)

If I could determine a way to proxy ARP on only a single Ethernet interface,
I would be happy, I agree.

In my continuing experiments, I wrote a small RIP-spoofing program that DOES
advertise the network I wanted advertised - and alas, it does not work.  But
it's showing up as a host route vs. a net route, so I need to look at it a
little more carefully to find out how to "claim" it differently...  :-)

... Joe

Joe Greco - The Data Capture Fellow (and UNIX/Network Hacker)      414/362-3617
Marquette Electronics, Inc. - Milwaukee, WI        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com