Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:10:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi patch for dell laptop?

In message: <20030624164549.R3146-100000@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
            Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
: On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <20030623103557.Q3146-100000@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
: >             Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET> writes:
: > : 	Speaking about ACPI, has anyone figured out how to close the lid
: > : without suspending?  I remember before, when the lid was closed, it would
: >
: > add the following to your /boot/loader.conf:
: >
: > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
:
: 	Putting it in /boot/loader.conf doesn't work since at some port
: during the system bootup, it will set the hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
: back to S1.  My /boot/loader.conf is as follows:

you are right.  that's what I get for not double checking on my laptop
at home first.

: 	Doing /sbin/sysctl -w hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE in
: /etc/rc.local does work which was the way I had it before but without the
: ACPI_DSDT patch, all it does when I close the lid is suspend the machine
: without the LCD going off and the LCD isn't alive until I reboot the
: machine.  Same thing happens with hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S1 even with
: the DSDT patch is that when the system resumes, the LCD is not live
: either.  With the DSDT path and hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE, the LCD
: turns off without suspending but when you open the lid, the LCD doesn't
: turn on until you hit Fn-F10.  This is with the A10 BIOS on the Dell
: Inspiron 8200.

this matches my experiences, to a point.  I've not tried the patched
dsdt table on my dell yet. :-)

Warner