Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:06:36 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

Terry Lambert writes:
> Effectively, this means ordering the writes.  There are a number
> of ways to do this:
>
> o	Order them explicitly by doing async writes to stable
> 	cache.  This requires specialized hardware and is not a
> 	generic soloution.  Sun's PrestoServe hardware does this;
> 	so do Auspex NFS servers.  You would be hard put to find PC
> 	controllers even capable of this, let alone drivers that
> 	could handle it.  The BIO subsystem would require significant
> 	changes to be able to put stable commit incursions up to
> 	the point an FS could choose between a stable commit to
> 	cache, a stable commit to disk, and an unstable commit to disk
> 	(a necessary optimization for non-metadata data originating
> 	locally instead of as the result of a network transaction).
> 	This is an OK, if very expensive, way to implement a good thing.

Another possibility is illustrated in a recent ASPLOS paper on robustness
in the face of operating system crashes.  IIRC, their system (Petal?) has
the entire DRAM on a battery backup, and after a crash/reboot, a diagnostic
utility goes through memory and writes out any pending data buffers.

I'm not convinced that this would really increase reliability; most problems
are usually hardware/power supply based; not OS crashes.
--
Jonathan