Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:34:18 -0600
From:      "David Hoogterp" <hoogterp@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HELP!

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BF55FF.FFD16E40

I've installed FreeBSD 3.2 in a dual boot configuration on a system with =
two IDE disks.  Each disk is the master on its respective IDE channel.  =
Microsoft Windows is on the first disk. FreeBSD is on the second.  I use =
Bootmagic 1.01 as a boot loader.

FreeBSD appears to boot normally until it reaches the line:  switching =
to root device disk1s1a.  Then I receive the message:  Error 6:panic: =
cannot mount root.  Then it reboots automatically.

I know why it does this.  The root device is disk2s1a not disk1.  I know =
the whole story about how the BIOS confuses the FreeBSD boot loader.  =
The problem is: how do I change it?  The book The Complete FreeBSD =
recommends stopping the loader before it boots and typing the command =
boot 1:wd(2,a)kernel, but that only produces the error message can't =
boot 'boot', kernel module already loaded.  If I unload the kernel and =
reenter the command another message appears: can't find =
'1:wd(2,a)kernel'.

I don't know enough about FreeBSD to edit the loader configuration with =
the fixit CD that came with it.  And no editors are available to me in =
FreeBSD because I can't get it to boot.  I've tried set =
rootdev=3Ddisk2s1a at the boot command prompt and booting with the boot =
command but the boot loader always reverts to defaults. What can I do?

signed,
Frustrated beyond the ability to reason.

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BF55FF.FFD16E40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've installed FreeBSD 3.2 in a dual boot =
configuration on a=20
system with two IDE disks.&nbsp; Each disk is the master on its =
respective IDE=20
channel.&nbsp; Microsoft Windows is on the first disk. FreeBSD is on the =

second.&nbsp; I use Bootmagic 1.01 as a boot loader.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>FreeBSD appears to boot normally until it reaches =
the=20
line:</FONT><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; <EM>switching to root device=20
disk1s1a.</EM></FONT><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; Then I receive the =
message:&nbsp;=20
<EM>Error 6:panic: cannot mount root.</EM>&nbsp; Then it reboots=20
automatically.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I know why it does this.&nbsp; The root device is =
disk2s1a not=20
disk1.&nbsp; I know the whole story about how the BIOS confuses the =
FreeBSD boot=20
loader.&nbsp; The problem is: how do I change it?&nbsp; The book <U>The =
Complete=20
FreeBSD</U> recommends stopping the loader before it boots and typing =
the=20
command <EM>boot 1:wd(2,a)kernel</EM>, but that only produces the error =
message=20
<EM>can't boot 'boot', kernel module already loaded</EM>.&nbsp; If I =
unload the=20
kernel and reenter the command another message appears: <EM>can't find=20
'1:wd(2,a)kernel'</EM>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I don't know enough about FreeBSD to edit the loader =

configuration with the fixit CD that came with it.&nbsp; And no editors =
are=20
available to me in FreeBSD because I can't get it to boot.&nbsp; I've =
tried=20
<EM>set rootdev=3Ddisk2s1a&nbsp;</EM>at the boot command prompt and =
booting with=20
the <EM>boot</EM> command but the boot loader always reverts to =
defaults. What=20
can I do?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>signed,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Frustrated beyond the ability to=20
reason.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BF55FF.FFD16E40--