Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Ports FAQ is a great read [port.tar??]

On 1 Oct 2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> non-cvsup method 3:
> --  cd /usr/ports/<sub>
>     fetch
>     ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/<sub>/port.tar
>     tar -xf port.tar
>     Note: Not all of the mirrors support tar-on-the-fly ftp transfers, but some do, including the primary site.

What is "tar-on-the-fly?"  Case in point:

# mkdir /usr/ports/java ; cd /usr/ports/java
# fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/java/jdk13.tar
fetch: jdk13.tar: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

I am losing faith in my abilities and am most certainly settling on a life
of /stand/sysinstall and `pkg_add -r` :-(  Can someone offer me hope?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder