Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:37:51 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "-pthread" == "-lpthread" for shared libs in -CURRENT

--Sig_2lPW=.n2ZeAdpApKXN8oAZ1

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:48:06 +0200
Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I take advantage of this thread to ask something I've always wanted to
> understand but never have an explanation.
>=20
> What prevented to link shared libraries against libc with the old GCC?
>=20
> Thank you.
> Best regards,
> --=20
> Jeremie Le Hen
> < jeremie at le-hen dot org >< ttz at chchile dot org>

I think this was related to the way we used to support threads in
3.x/early 4.x releases. The program was supposed to link with either
libc or libc_r, but not both and having both libraries loaded at the
same time was really bad idea. Recording dependency to libc_r or libc
into shared libraries makes shared libraries that work in both threaded
and non-threaded programs impossible.

--=20
Alexander Kabaev