Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        brandon@roguetrader.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading to a safe BIND?

In a previous message, Brandon Gillespie said:
> My primary DNS is running FreeBSD 2.2-970205-GAMMA.  In due time I will be
> upgrading to 2.2.2, although I may just wait for 3.0 *shrug*.
>
> In the mean time, I would like to fix my BIND server.  There is no port
> for it (I guess since its in the distribution).. so which bind do I want?
> bind-4 or bind-8?  And if I get bind-8, will my current configurations
> work?  What differs between the bind distributed with FreeBSD and the bind
> at isc.org?

Bind as distributed in FreeBSD is 4.9.x. And it works fine. Of course, there
are security bugs. I haven't tried compiling a newer version of 4.9.x lately.
I had some trouble earlier (2.1.[5-7]). 4.9.x distributions are written to be
platform specific. Ie. it wants to change libraries. the 8.x distribution
does not do this.

I did compile bind-8 on 2.2.1 and it seemed to run fine as a secondary. I
didn't try it as a primary, though there should be no difference. It does
use a different config file than bind-4. named.conf instead of named.boot,
I think. But there is a little script (perl?) that comes with the distribution
to convert it.

There are some neat things in bind-8. You might want to play with it. I
tried compiling it on 2.1.7, but it failed, due to a problem in a system
header file that wasn't Posix compliant in 2.1.7 but was fixed in 2.2.x.

--
"I never said I had no idea about most of the things you
 said I said I had no idea about.

--Assistant Secretary of State Elliot Abrams, making excuses
  over his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, 1987