Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 09:52:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Anthony Hill <ahill@netspace.net.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant make olvwm

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Anthony Hill wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Anthony Hill wrote:
> >
> > > I tryed to install olvwm from the ports collection the other day, but the
> > > build of xview failed near the end of the process with :-
> > >
> > > ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib
> > >
> > > illegal option -m
> > >
> > > Anyone know what my problem is ?
> >
> > The -m option is fairly new, wasn't on 2.0.5, but will be on 2.1.  What
> > system are you running?
> >
> Yup - that would be it - I'm running 2.0.5 -any idea what I should do to
> fix it ?

Sure.  Ldconfig reads a list of directories that you give it, and
produces a database in /var/run that tells ld where to go looking for
stuff during runtime.  As root, you could just run it again.  Pick some
time that nothing else furious is going on in your system (I wouldn't do
it while a make was chugging away!) then issue:

ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/lib

All my shared libs are in one of those 3 places, so this would work for
me.  If you have your libs more scattered, you'd have to expand the list
to cover them.

Of course, I don't use this myself, and if you upgrade to the new system,
you won't have to either.

> Anthony

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;