Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:14:35 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        "Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius@gmail.com>
Cc:        "mail.list freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with Xorg after portupgrade

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This week upgraded my Acer TravelMate 4060 laptop from FreeBSD 7.0 to
> FreeBSD 7.1 and also csup'ed my ports and portupgraded them and I am
> not able to start X correctly. When I invoke startx, it tries to start
> it and then the screen goes blank and black, nothing is seen on it and
> I am no able to kill X using ctrl-alt-backspace or swtich to another
> terminal and I have to cold reboot my machine.
>
> uname -r shows 7.1-RELEASE-p4
>
> The version of xorg metaport is 7.4_1, the version of xorg-server is 1.6.0,1.
>
> After I did the portupgrade I rebooted my machine and the KDE display
> manager failed to appear, so I disabled it from /etc/ttys for easier
> debugging. After I logged in to a shell, I called startx and the
> screen went blank and black. After I rebooted the machine I invoked
>
> X -configure
>
> as root and run
>
> X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
>
> and again the same problem.

The default screen when not running a WM/DE is no longer the familiar
screen pattern / X mouse pointer, but a black screen. Go figure... You
maybe having a working X and not know it.

> I then tried to make ctrl-alt-backspace
> work and I added the following section at the end of
> /root/xorg.conf.new
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "DontZap" "off"
> EndSection

This should definitely work.

> and called X -config /root/xorg.conf.new again - same results and
> still could not kill ther server. I followed /usr/ports/UPDATING,
> entry from 20090123 and disabled moused and added
>
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

Browsing your xorg.conf, you forgot to add the keyword "Option" in front
of "AllowEmptyInput". And actually this should also go the "ServerFlags"
section.

> in the ServerLayout section. Again X refuses to start appropriately.
>
> I would be very grateful if you help me in resolving this issue.
>
> I am attaching my xorg.conf file and the logs from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> and I will happily provide more information if needed.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Regards
> Rambius

You can download my working xorg.conf from here:

http://store.itsyourftp.com/~sonic2000gr/freebsd/xorg.conf.tar.gz

It even includes some comments. Give it a try.