Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 03:03:13 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Eric Murphy <eam404@earthlink.net>
Subject:   Re: NFS question...

--nextPart4052168.1LESgn7HTm

Am Dienstag, 23. August 2005 02:51 CEST schrieb Eric Murphy:
> Hey guys...
>
> Ive setup a NFS correctly (I think) on my BSD 5.4 box
>
> Added
>
> nfs_enable_enable=3D"yes"
> rpcbind_enable=3D"yes"
> portmap_enable=3D"yes"
>
> in my rc.conf
>
> and its seems to be working...
>
> My question is this..
>
> I can mount the shares without anyproblems as root...
>
> I CAN NOT mount them as a user...
>
> Now I added my UID (1001) to my SERVER's exports file with -maproot=3D1001
>
> Am i understaning this correctly that by adding that line in the config
> it gives me read/write access to the files on the SERVER? that does NOT
> allow me to mount the File system..?
>
> My user is able to read/wirite to the files with no problems..
>
> sorry if thats alittle confuseing...

Hmm, at first it is...=20
You cannot mount filesystems (even not NFSs) as regular user. Well, you=20
can, but you have to be the owner of the mountpoint directory and have set=
=20
(as superuser or during startup (/etc/sysctl.conf)) the sysctl=20
vfs.usermount to 1.
The '-maproot=3DSOMEID' is for the NFS server which tells him to what useri=
d=20
incoming ID=3D0 requests will be mapped. Usually you don't want to let=20
everybody who identifies him as ID=3D0 erase your root file system! So User=
=20
ID=3D0 is invalid in NFS until you map it to any other (or the same) ID!

Hope this helps,

=2DHarry