Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:03:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        troyc@sandy.merix.com (Troy Curtiss)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB -- How tricky will it be to support?

Troy Curtiss stands accused of saying:
> Hackers,
>   How tricky is USB going to be to support?

>From my reading, quite.  It's very heavy on the software side.

> Some of the mechanisms
> such as hot plug/unplug, auto-detection and driver allocation, addressing,
> and etc. don't look easy... The paradigm feels like a cross between the
> PC-Card stuff (for the plug/unplug) and a PCI-bus (for addressing and
> detection).

Yup.  It needs to be developed in the context of a generalised
demand-loaded/unloaded device driver model, and it'll need to make
heavy use of devfs.  You should have a look at Doug R.'s new ISA code
as well, as providing he has the time to keep working on it, it's the
best place to start.  ` The generalised driver framework is the
infrastrucrure required; things like USB will come "almost" (ha!) for
free once it's in place.

> Anybody toyed with supporting USB yet?  I'm curious what angle to
> attack this subsystem from.

I read through several of the spec documents and decided I just didn't
have the time to spend on it (and no USB hardware to try with either).
If you wanted to do _something_ in the current context, I'd humbly
suggest developing the various functional components in a very
black-box fashion, so that you can reuse them later; concetrate on the
protocol and detection code, that sort of stuff.