Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      SammyG <dukeraenator@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Working fglrx driver on FreeBSD-7

Jacques Fourie-2 wrote:

> If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post instructions on how
> to accomplish this. It is relatively simple - I had to create a simple
> wrapper that allows the FreeBSD Xorg to load the Linux driver with the
> help of libmap.conf.

This is a bit late, but I would be very grateful to know. I'm a complete
novice to Unix-like operating systems and trying to make 2d-accleration work
for my Radeon 9600 & P4P800 board on FreeBSD 7.0-Release. Since my eyes
can't stand tearing, I was thinking about switching to Linux...
I don't know if this will help, but I also had some arifacts(though quite
different from yours) and I somehow managed to remove them by setting the
right horizontal&vertial refresh rates values for my monitor in xorgconfig
tool, at least for 1024x768 mode. I didn't have to manually add or remove
any kernel modules in xorg.conf or /boot/loader.conf. Unfortunately, the
open-source generic radeon driver doesn't seem to support 2d-accleration...
Since X700 is in R400 family, and radeonhd driver is supposed to only work
with R500 and newer chipsets, This would probably be your case, too. (But
tearing is just bearly noticeable in mplayer... this is strange, maybe
because of double-buffering?)
But my version of Xorg is a bit out of date, so things could be different
with the latest version.