Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:36:18 -0700
From:      Sean Peck <seanp@loudcloud.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>, Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who's got the cheapest 100-BT Ethernet NIC?

Why would you use RL?  There is a driver in 3.3 specificlly for the TX the
"vr"..
at least it looks like it is for this NIC.

David Kelly wrote:

> Larry Librettez writes:
> > I have several D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 PCI NIC's
> > living on my network.  They have never let me down the
> > 2 years I've used them.  Can be had for $19.99 at
> > CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.  I've seen them
> > for as low as $14.99 on sale.
> >
> > It uses the Realtek 8139 chip and in LINT the device
> > driver is 'rl'.
>
> Have you ever read /usr/src/sys/pci/if_rl.c?
>
> [...]
> /*
>  * The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is
>  * probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
>  * exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master
>  * DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
>  * gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.
>  *
> [...]
>
> Couple of months ago found a vendor with a box of pulled Intel 10/100's
> and talked them down to 3 for $24. All 3 worked, as did the other 6
> purchased by those looking over my shoulder.
>
> At one time knew of a vendor selling tested pulls for $25 on the net.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net

Finish the deployment... We'll buy you a new family.

The three most dangerous things are:
1) a programmer with a soldering iron
2) a manager who codes
3) a user who gets ideas.