Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:13:33 +0200
From:      Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To:        Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@scc.nl
Subject:   Re: Makefile.inc1 & kernel names

At Wed, 02 Aug 2000 20:08:44 CDT, Tim Zingelman wrote:
> [I've cc'd the person who, if I'm seeing correctly, has most recently
>  changed this part of Makefile.inc1 in -CURRENT.  Since this keeps
>  coming up here, and we need -CURRENT to DTRT so we can then get a
>  MFC to make us happy here in -STABLE]
>
>  Have the 'make buildkernel' target build the first one in the list with
>  KERNEL=kernel, and all the others with KERNEL=kernel.NAME.  (in my above
>  example, MYCUSTOM would get built as kernel and GENERIC would get built
>  as kernel.GENERIC.
>
>  Have the 'make installkernel' target install the first one in the KERNEL
>  list with KERNEL=kernel, and all the others with KERNEL=kernel.NAME.
>  (again my example would install MYCUSTOM in /kernel and GENERIC in
>  /kernel.GENERIC.

This has been discussed in -current or -arch
see PR 17698 for a patch
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=17698

The outcome of the discussion was that multiple kernels are not
supported today but a new kernel/module scheme has been proposed
and it will hopefully make life easier in the regard.

/Johan K