Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 11:38:39 -0500
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Console Messages

>> However, I've been wondering if the messages are from the processor on
>> my ethernet board.  How would I go about tracking down the source of
>> the message?  Telling me to go read a particular book or article is a
>> good answer as far as I'm concerned (or looking at source code).
>
>Hmmm.  Good question. :)
>
>I would probably try to pinpoint it by process of elimination, though
>I'm not sure that option is open to you...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I assume you mean pulling (or swapping) cards out and waiting to see
if the error appears again (repeat process until problem isolated).  I
can do this - the display card and the ethernet card are more involved
than the scsi card.  I guess I could reconfigure and set up a serial
console; pull all the cards out except the ethernet card and
wait. Changing the ethernet card would be the simplest thing to do, but
I'll have to work with the people who maintain the domain name server
here.

As an aside, this system use to run Windows NT and Linux (I wipe both
off the system when I got the machine).  The person who had this
computer before me, could never get Linux to run and use the scsi card
and the ethernet card simultaneously - instead he built two separate
kernels, one for each card (both work under NT with out any problem).
I have never found any conflicts between these two cards under FreeBSD
or Windows 95.  I just wonder if there is any connection between my
console messages and the issues experienced under Linux (my guess is
probably not!).

Anyway, thanks again.  I'm going to go off and pound my head, pull and
swap boards etc.

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                             email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121
Naval Undersea Warfare Center             Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
1176 Howell Street                        FAX:       (401) 841-7453
Newport, Rhode Island
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)