Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:58:47 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 10 default terminal emulation

I have a quite strange question. Yesterday I've been using a
FreeBSD/i386 10 RC system for some tests, and I discovered that
the entries in /etc/ttys define "xterm" instead of "cons25"
for the getty invocations assigned to the virtual terminals
(text mode). Of course, german umlauts and several edit keys
(delete, for example) don't work. In order to use german
umlauts, is it still valid to change "xterm" to "cons25l1"
(along with some rc.conf settings related to german keyboard,
gont, shell)? I'm not intending to use UTF-8, because this adds
extra complexity and maybe trouble that I simply don't need,
and, as far as I know, isn't even supported in text mode,
but "cons25l1" (likewise: de_DE.ISO8859-1) is, or at least
has been for decades...

Because during next year I plan to migrate some systems from
FreeBSD 8 and 9 to 10, I'd like to be prepared on how I can
preserve the feature of being able to use german special
characters even in text mode (because sometimes that's all
what is accessible locally).

Sidenote observation:

Also "echo $SHELL" now results in "/bin/tcsh" in comparison
to "/bin/csh", even though the C shell in FreeBSD has been
mentioned as being a tcsh for many years now. Is there a
reason for this change?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany