Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 16:28:04 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Tony Wells <tony@camel.kdsi.net>
Cc:        Lee Mark Mercado <mercadolee@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocking IPs

Tony Wells wrote:

> Someone mentioned off-list that /etc/hosts.allow might be easier for a
> newbie to setup, which I agree it is.  The problem is it only controls
> access to services that are started by inetd.

	That is not true on FreeBSD. At minimum it also allows control of the sshd
that comes with the system. A firewall is a better choice for overall
security, but if all the ports you actually have open are available to be
controlled by hosts.allow, IMO you're at least 80% there, and that is
sufficient for most desktop users.

Doug