Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:58:38 +0200
From:      Kresimir Kumericki <kkumer@phy.hr>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PGI Fortran Compiler seems to be courios under FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE

On (25 Oct 19:45), O. Hartmann wrote:
> Well, many devolopers, many scientists and especially our scientists want
> Portland Group compiler. So I concentrated my doings on this compiler for
> a while, but without success. I can install the newest stuff from Portland
> Group, generate a trial evaluation key and I can compile any kind of source
> code, but all produced images are crashing immediately after calling them.

  How do they crash? Segmentation fault? (I think they segfaulted on me
before and I also rembember that no branding helped whatsoever.)

> Does anyone has any idea or is someone out there who has already installed
> the PGI compilers (especially PGF90) on FreeBSD?

  Well, some time ago I have installed trial versions of both PGF77 and
PGF90 on FreeBSD and succesfully compiled and run several F77 and F90
programs. I have uninstalled this software in the meantime since trial
version is not nice for using (it gets slower every day) and PGI doesn't
want to sell to Croatia due tu US export restrictions!?  (Really awkward
situation for me since g77 is so much slower on FreeBSD and I need to do a
lot of compilation. Any suggestions?)
  Anyway, motivated by your mail I installed trial version again and it
works. Here is what I did. (I remember it took me *a lot* of time to get all
the steps right.)

1. Unpack the source linux86-HPF.tar.gz somewhere

2. Edit the file install and comment out line
      "PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"
   (line 17 for me)

3. Edit the file linux86/bin/fixlinux86 and comment out line
      "PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH".
   In the same file delete the large block at the and where glibc is
   detected, between lines
      # GLIBC issues
   and
      cat >> $sed << EOF1
   and put the following two lines
      GLIBC="yes"
      LIBGLIBC=$start/linux86/lib-glibc-212
   instead.

(I don't get it how you installed pgf90 in the first place without these
or equivalent steps?)

4. Set the PATH to get compat/linux before freebsd bin directories and
   execute install.
   I have a small script called "lin:

#!/bin/sh

# lin by kkumer@phy.hr 2000-09-29
# This activates "Linux-environment" for compilations
# Usage: e.g. lin gmake

export PATH=<bin where pgf90 is going to be>:/usr/compat/linux/bin: \
   /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin:/usr/compat/linux/usr/local/bin:  \
   /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
exec $*

  and I execute 'lin ./install'. This first <bin where pgf90 is going to be>
  item in PATH should be unecesary (I needed it for some other things) but
  I left it just in case. It is $HOME/bin/pgi in my case.

I did these steps just ten minutes ago and then I compiled
hello_world.f with pgf77 and some F90 benchmark suite with pgf90 on
4.1.1-STABLE. Everything went ok. No branding was necessary.

Tschuss,
  Kresimir

--
Kresimir Kumericki  kkumer@phy.hr  http://www.phy.hr/~kkumer/
Theoretical Physics Department, University of Zagreb, Croatia