Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 05:09:45 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   G200 GLX and SIGFPU

I'm playing with the GLX (server-side OpenGL-to-hardware interface) drivers
for the Matrox G200 2D/3D chip (very good chip, btw), and the good news is
that they work in FreeBSD.

Mostly.

My problem is that sometimes, the driver (which loads into a XFree86 3.3.x
server as a module, and also comes with a Mesa-based libGL.so) likes to kill
the X server with a SIGFPU at a certain point in the code (in the hardware
pixel/texel-smoothing routines, to be exact). When I run the SGI logo.c
demo, it will kill the server, eventually, with SIGFPU, and when I play
q3test through the driver, it'll drop the server at or near the same place
in the code as logo.c. This doesn't happen when Mesa itself is doing the
rendering in software.

The reason I'm asking here on the FreeBSD lists about this is because I
remember some rumblings a while back about differences in the way FreeBSD
and Linux handle the FPU, and whether they'd be pertinent to this. It'd
appear, from what I've seen, that all development on these drivers (until
now) has been done on Linux, so a lot of these SIGFPU issues would be
"invisible" to them.

If anyone wants a look at the code, the CVS information is at

and I can also get crash dumps and backtraces for anyone who wants them.

-lee