Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:47:09 -0400
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   question about login.conf limits...

Hi all,

We've got a fairly typical mailserver that handles mail for over 15,000
users and have been using /etc/login.conf to limit resource usage.
Today I had to deal with a corporate user that insisted on sending >20Mb
files via email.  The email wouldn't go thru and maillog only indicated
an "Operating system error" as toe cause of the failure to deliver.  The
email was still in the queue and I was able to temporarily change the
users' login class to one without limits(which is normally only used by
the sys admins) and get the email delivered.

What I'm unclear on is which limit was being reached.  This is the
standard class we use:

standard:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
        :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
        :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/local/man:\
        :cputime=1h30m:\
        :datasize=24M:\
        :stacksize=2M:\
        :memorylocked=4M:\
        :memoryuse=20M:\
        :filesize=16M:\
        :coredumpsize=8M:\
        :openfiles=24:\
        :maxproc=32:\
        :priority=0:\
        :requirehome:\
        :umask=022:\
        :ignoretime@:\
        :tc=default:

We're also using procmail as the local mailer and the user in question
did have a .procmail.rc.  Is there any way to have syslog report
situations where a login.conf limit is reached?  which paramater it
was?  which event caused it?

A pointer to the appropriate reference or man page would sufficient as
I haven't been able to find any that mentioned this issue.  Thanks.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                    Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

         - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.